Friday 17 May 2013

Almost 3 Months In

It's been almost 3 months and I feel like I have a good idea of what's going on and give some helpful information. 
A silhouette of Faisalia Tower on the right


Compared to Korea, the lifestyle is very boring and isolated. It is hard to meet other westerners as they only other westerners in the area seem to be mostly married couples. 

It's difficult to hang out with the women I work with because they have families and are not very out-going in general. And, of course, there is the lack of common interest. I feel guilt when I talk about my travel experiences or driving or the freedom I have to do what I want to do without supervision or curfew or permission. My parents have always supported and trusted me in my independence and for that I am very grateful. It's makes it difficult to relate to each other, and I have to choose my phrasing wisely so as not to offend. I hear myself saying, "It's just different. Different culture," a lot by way of almost apologising for having had so many experiences to share. Many of the women I have spoken to are very open to my talking about my travels and say that they envy me, but I don't know how to reply to that. Sorry?
Something I'm very conscious of when on the escalator

Kingdom Tower - A mall and a sky bridge 25riyals
A view from the bridge. The sign says no photography but they were really not concerned about it. 

Inside Kingdom Tower Mall -  the third floor is exclusively for women


When I say there is not much to do, I realise that being bored is a choice. I have tried to fill the void by practicing some hobbies I know I don't usually have much time for, like painting. But I usually paint outside and that is not an option here. Photography is limited. Hiking, exercising outside, all limited due to the weather, abayas, and appropriate public behaviour.

I don't really like shopping so I don't go to the big malls. But even if I wanted to, the effort seems too great. I didn't mind getting lost in Korea because buses were cheap and taxi's very affordable. And if you know your address you are sure to find your way home. Here, on the other hand, taxi's are not very cheap and you don't give an address. You need to give directions and descriptions of what's well known near your address, an almost impossible task if you don't speak the language and don't know the area. A daunting one to say the least. That much effort for a cup of coffee in a mall hardly seems worth it, though I suppose I need to change my attitude.

My other hobby of cooking is limited by the fact that I don't have an oven or microwave...not even a little oven like the one I had in Korea but still managed to make exotic pizza's and roasts in. 

I didn't bring any books to read cos I thought I would buy myself a kindle to help with the weight of books. And I was too late to apply for a distance learning course...so think about that before you come here. 

Please keep in mind that I am not in a Westerner compound, which I think would make living here a lot easier. 


No comments:

Post a Comment